The Quinn Report

The daily, weekly, or sometimes monthly news of what goes on in our hectic lives.

Friday, February 02, 2007

Doctor's Note

They both have a head cold; better rush them to the doctor!


Yesterday, one of my girlfriends here kept her son home from school because he didn't feel good. So, I had a phone conversation with her in the afternoon, and she said she needed to take her son to the doctor to get a note so he could return to school the next day. WHAT? Apparently, in Georgia, your child can only have 5 un-excused absences until CPS gets a hold of you to take you before a judge. I for real thought she was shitting me, but it's the truth. What ever happened to the "good old days" when you kept your child home for a day just because you wanted to spend time with your kid? My Mom kept me home a couple times a year just so we could go shoe shopping (aaahhh, I miss those days Mommy! :) I do think there needs to be some sort of guidelines to be followed, but isn't this a bit excessive? What a pain in the ass that is for her to have to get a doctors note just because her child has the common cold. Between Andrea's toilet paper issue and this BS, home schooling sounds better and better with each passing day.......Well, maybe not.

5 Comments:

At 2:56 PM , Blogger Andrea and Ben said...

That is pretty ridiculous! I can understand needing a note to excuse the absence, but give me a break! I can say it isn't any better anywhere outside Georgia either.

 
At 3:48 PM , Blogger Katie said...

That is so retarded....but your picture is GREAT!

 
At 12:29 AM , Blogger Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

In defense of the schools:
I can say that way too many parents manipulate the system (or frankly don't give a shit) and with higher standards being placed on our teachers we must also place accountability on the parents. Too many children are allowed to just not go to school, for whatever reason. I have one student that has missed 10 days in the last 2 months (keep in mind this student is in elem. school). How can she learn when she is not there? How can we fairly evaluate her academic progress (or lack there of) if she is not attending classes? If this student is not ill (which she isn't) then her parents are neglecting her and violating her right to an equal education. I understand that this is challenging, and frankly inconvenient, for some parents but it is something that schools have to implement for the benefit of the child. After all, it is the right of all American children to have a free and public education and we (parents and the American public) have to ensure that all children are indeed being educated.

I didn't mean to go off there. I just wanted to show another perspective.

 
At 8:29 AM , Blogger The Quinn Report said...

I 100% agree with you on that part. It just sucks that other people have to go through the ass pain of it all for the slackers. My friends husband came back from a deployment last year, and she wasn't able to take her son out of school to go meet her husband in Florida. Then, she tried to take her son to her SISTERS wedding a few weeks after that(take her son out of school for 2 days) and they wouldn't excuse that either. Who's to say what you can and cannot do with your own child. If her son is doing well in school, then I don't see the problem with taking him out for a day or two.

 
At 6:00 AM , Blogger Abby & Patrick said...

What is the world coming too - that's ridiculous... Cute picture though :) Hope they both feel better soon!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home