The Quinn Report

The daily, weekly, or sometimes monthly news of what goes on in our hectic lives.

Sunday, September 09, 2007

3+?





I hate, HATE when you go to Toys 'R Us to buy a toy for a child and they're marked "age appropriate." What does that mean exactly? I think SOME are labeled correctly; however, yesterday I purchased a shopping cart with mini cardboard play-food (which you can tell she LOVES by the expression on her face), and it was labeled with a big fat AGES 3+. What the heck? Can someone please explain to me why my mobile child can't put/play/walk with a shopping cart? The second I gave it to her, she took off and went "shopping" like YOU READ ABOUT! She does this with me on a weekly (okay, sometimes daily) basis, so she damn well knew what she was doing. She's a professional at this and I think children can be exposed to such toys as these well before the age of 3. By the time she is 3, I plan on her already having her drivers license and not just pushing toys around my home.




In the bottom photos she was grabbing boxes, looking at the pictures,"reading" ingredients to tell me watch she needed, and then she was saying "bye-bye" like she knew she needed to go check out....so cute she is!

5 Comments:

At 12:57 PM , Blogger Tracy said...

My opinion on the age marking... It is just a big ploy to keep people from sueing them. I think companies are so scared of being sued (rightly so but still) that they mark up the age and put it in big letters on the box so if something happens to someone who is playing with it younger than 3, they have covered their basis. It seems that everyones first idea is to sue and see how much money they can get(which is why we pay so darn much for everything, I think we are making up the cost)

 
At 7:08 PM , Blogger Katie said...

Oh my god that is the cutest thing ever and my head just exploded! I can't believe she is pretending to shop! Hilarious!

I think all of Becca's fave toys are marked 3+ including Play Doh. Stupid. It think maybe it is for stupid parents who may not supervise anything their kids do or something!

P.S. That is a super awesome play kitchen Salem has!

 
At 7:52 AM , Blogger Andrea and Ben said...

She looks so pleased with herself, cute!

 
At 8:31 PM , Blogger The Gilbert Crew said...

I agree with Tracy on the whole age marking thing! I too have never gone by age markings when buying for any of my kids. My 6 year old is the master of Crimson skies on the xbox. It is rated teen for some obvious reasons, but we skip all the "shows" and head straight to the dogfights. He can even beat his dad, maybe thats why John always flew the heavies instead of the fighters :}

 
At 10:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is very cute. We had to buy Mike a cart too! He just loves pushing stuff around.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home