The Quinn Report

The daily, weekly, or sometimes monthly news of what goes on in our hectic lives.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

" The List"

I haven't slept in DAYS. The week leading up to the ultrasound, I stayed awake all hours of the night wondering what little "who's it" was going to be. Then, Tuesday came when we found out it was a precious boy, and do you think I've been able to sleep since, NO! Now, my days are spent decorating the room in my head, compiling lists of what I need for him, stressing out over the amount of money we have to spend on "necessities" alone. I think Andrew wants me to put him in all of Salem's pink sleepers, but I just can't bring myself to do that to him.

With all of that, let me share to lists with you:

* Baby bedding-CHECK. I bought a fish/bubbled theme set called MIGI Splash. It's funny because that's also my mom's nickname (Midge is her real name).
* Sleepers to get him through the first 9 months-CHECK.
* Socks-CHECK.
* 3 newborn/going home from hospital outfits-CHECK.
* Have a custom made canvas wall mural made to match his room with his name on it-CHECK.
* All the extra things to match the Migi Splash (extra sheet, blanket, valance, etc.),-CHECK.
* Name-CHECK.

Which will now bring me to the list of names we did have in mind followed by the name we picked

* Jasek..people would call him Jase or Jay..no thanks.
* Trevin...people would shorten the name to Trev...no thanks.
* Jevin....." " Jev....no thanks.
* Calen " " Cal.....no thanks.
* Jyan..."what, you're naming him GIANT?" No thanks!
* Tyber..."what, you're naming him TIGER?" No thanks!
* Vail.......mmmmm, just didn't like it after a while.
* Stian..........the kid probably wouldn't be able to say his name until he's 13; shit, it's hard for me to say!

Basically, we didn't want any name that could be shortened where people would suspect that his "real name" was something else. Example: Trevin, people might call him Trev; which would make them think it was Trevor.
Example: Tyber, " " Ty; which people would lead to being Tyler. Anyways, you get what I'm saying. So, we went with:

Tavin Andrew Quinn and we LOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEE IT!

Again, I will never shorten his name ( I will always call him Tavin), but if others choose to say Tav when he's older, I don't think that sounds so bad. Think of the pronunciation as Gavin, but with a T. I feel it's strong, unique, and it means TWIN; which if this one comes out looking anything like Salem did (JUST LIKE HER DADDY), it will be VERY FITTING!

I can't wait to hear all your thoughts on this!

13 Comments:

At 3:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah!!!! I am so excited for you guys! One of each that is so perfect. And of course the name is also perfect. That is gonna be rough having to get all new stuff but also way fun! We got to wyoming on Monday and just got an apartment this am, we should move in tomorrow. Man the houses here are dumps! Literally dumps, one of the basements had moldy dog shit in it. So we went with the small two bedroom but very clean and new 4plex with a fireplace. Oh, also I got my TICKET!!! I come in the 1st of Aug and leave the 5th. Sucks I wish I could have a couple more days but thats all they had for frequent flier miles. I can not wait to see you guys and give Tavin a little pat for me! love ya girl -emma

 
At 3:59 PM , Blogger joanna said...

I am impressed that you picked a name before he was born! What's the possibility you'll change your mind? Not worried? I like it. Not that my opinion really counts in this matter... I did think the 'a' was a long 'a' sound until you said it sounds like Gavin. And I like Tavin better than Gavin. But, then again, I know what really matters is that YOU like it. Because you'll be saying it a lot in the next few years!!

 
At 4:21 PM , Blogger Tracy said...

I was a little worried with your list of names. I couldn't pronounce many of them. Tavin I assumed was similar to Gavin. Very Unique. It has a Tavin Quinn has a good ring to it! Where do you get your names from? Do you have a cool book?

 
At 9:59 PM , Blogger The Quinn Report said...

Actually, I came up with all of the names on my own. I just try changing and adding letters to "real known" names. Trevin-Jevin...Gavin-Tavin.

I find things I like in my head, and then look them up to see if they truly do have a meaning. I've owned 1 name book throughout both of my pregnancies, and didn't have any luck. I tossed it out after looking through it once because it was WORTHLESS!

 
At 8:25 AM , Blogger Andrea and Ben said...

I told Ben you had a name already and he said you are lame. He is starting to feel the pressure of the whole name game!!!!
I love Tavin :0)

 
At 9:45 AM , Blogger Samantha said...

You just found out you are having a biy a few days ago and you have already done so much...crazy!!!! Love the bedding.

 
At 9:45 AM , Blogger Samantha said...

Supposed to be "boy", not "biy".

 
At 1:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah u found a name..love n it!!
tanya

 
At 3:33 PM , Blogger Joel and Angela said...

I just caught up and saw that you are having a BOY!!! That is awesome! And you look fabulous! I hope you are doing well and I love the name! I don't like to shorten our kid's names either. But if Ellen would have been a boy we would have named him William. And William sounds more grown up than Will, so I would have called him Will but Joel would have called him William. Difference of opinion. But don't have to worry about that now!

 
At 7:05 AM , Blogger Abby & Patrick said...

Cute name :) I can honestly say that I haven't heard of any of the names on your list. I agree - "Tav" won't be bad if people shorten it. Hope to catch up with you guys at some point - I think we're coming back to the states next...

 
At 7:18 AM , Blogger Katie said...

I am with you on the shortening thing....I pay a lot of attention to that. Because there are VERY few boys names out there that don't get shortened. I LOVE the name Patrick, but hate the name Pat. I LOVE the name William, but am not crazy about Will, etc etc. So....it looks like you found a great name that has all the qualities you want!

I think it is a cool name. And, I looked up the bedding on line and it is cute, too! Do you have to paint his room?

 
At 8:14 AM , Blogger The Quinn Report said...

Katie,
I'm only going to paint 1 wall in his room. The rest of them are already painted the cream/tan color that should match perfectly. I want to do the blue color on the widow wall;however, the valances are primarily blue and I think the green is to dark. Damn.

 
At 2:50 PM , Blogger Shel Barker said...

Oh MAMA!!! How wonderful that it's a BOY!!! One of each and as perfect for your family as it should be! I was secretly hoping for another girl to bring on some more fabu pink but this is as it should be! Can't wait to see you and squeeze you this weekend. Congratulations and I love the name!

shel;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home