The Quinn Report

The daily, weekly, or sometimes monthly news of what goes on in our hectic lives.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND

Here is the problem I have, and I'm sorry if this is offensive in ANY sort of way. I'm not trying to be persuasive, but simply trying to understand. So, if anyone can explain it to me, that would be fab.
Here we go:

So, last night, we had a couple of our friends over to watch the UFC(Ultimate Fighting Championship). Yes, we are very morbid and enjoy watching men beat the crap out of eachother. Truthfully, it is a very skillful sport that focuses on a combination of martial arts, judo, and boxing. There are three, five minutes rounds, with one one man always claiming victory over his competitor. We watched about 10 fights or so(give or take a few), and every winner, with exception to one, started off my thanking God for his defeat. It honestly just confuses the hell out of me. Did God really like you better? Yes, I'm sure you won becuase God really wanted YOU to beat the living daylights out of the other guy and break his nose, right? "I would like to start out by first thanking my Lord Jesus Christ. I couldn't have won without him tonight." Well, I guess God liked him better and that's why he won.

Same goes for everything. Football, soccer, modeling competitions, everything--just daily living. "Thank you God for making me more beautiful than the other models." So when the Colts win every Sunday(except for one this season), God likes them better than all the other teams? Did they sin less than their opponent?

I think religion can definitely be a good thing, don't get me wrong. I have seen it do wonders with my very own eyes. I've seen it turn troublesome individuals, into the most generous and kind people out there walking the streets today. I've seen it save marriages, drug addicts, etc. , etc. But the other question I have is: Why can't we just be good people? Be kind? Be giving? Be honest? Be loyal? Why am I not known as a "good person" in society, without having God in my life? Why does it effect my job performance? I'm sorry, but whether or not I am saved should have NOTHING to do with my overall evaluation.

As most of you know, my husband is atheist and I LOVE him for who he is. Andrew is amazing to me,loyal, honest, giving,loving, on and on; not because he is afraid of where he'll be going in his afterlife, but because he wants to be known as a good person here TODAY and in this life on earth.

Also, will I be going to hell now that I don't give $ to my local church? Well, did God take note that I donated my time and money otherwise by helping out children that have life threatning illnesses that are on their death beds? Do I get brownie points for that, or am I still going to hell? What about the infant that is born with RSV and only lives for a few days? Where do they go? They didn't even have a chance at life because apparently you needed them; so where do they go? They didn't even have the opportunity to get saved.

Uh, this is so frustrating to me. I thought that Christians weren't supposed to judge others and I have found them to be the most judgemental of all. I don't care if you're Christian, Jewish, Atheist, Morman---if you're a good person, than you're a good person. I'm not going to shun you just because we don't have the same beliefs. And who's to say who's right or wrong?

3 Comments:

At 1:09 PM , Blogger Andrea and Ben said...

I feel your pain! I had a long response typed out.....maybe Karma was telling me not to post it. Just as frustrating as judgemental christians are people who say "I am catholic, methodist, jewish....whatever" but don't practice the religion at all. If you are then practice it, if not, don't claim to be and make me feel bad for not being anything at the moment except a decent human being. Soap box.....look what you started!!

 
At 1:23 PM , Blogger Katie said...

I couldn't agree with you more. My grandmother always said her dad was the best christian she ever met. And he never went to church and never professed any kind of belief system. He just took care of the needy around him. He actually DID the "Christian" things without even being one.

THAT is what I need to be doing more of....not sitting in a pew making out my grocery list and gossiping about what Mrs. Tucker is wearing today and trying to legistlate my beliefs on everyone else. I need to be actually helping people who need it.

 
At 9:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, good for you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home